- Hualalai Academy is a K-12 college preparatory school that empowers students through an integrated curriculum and experiential learning to develop their academic, artistic, social, and physical skills.
- Hualalai Academy provides a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment that encourages exploration, community involvement, and lifelong learning.
|Total Students||135 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
|Students by Grade|
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Uniform is logo t-shirt 4 days per week)
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||K-5 12,300 6-12 12,800|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Sharma|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Sailing, Tennis, VolleyballCross Country, Dance,|
- Hualalai Academy, a K-12 college preparatory school, is the only private, independent K-12 school in the Districts of Northand South Kona on the Island of Hawai`i. Hualalai Academy began in 1985 as a K-5 satellite of Hawai`i PreparatoryAcademy in Waimea. Since it became independent of HPA in1996, Hualalai earned accreditation from the Hawai`i Association of Independent Schools and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, established a middle school and high school, and built an ever-growing campus on14.875 acres that was recently certified a "Wildlife" Habitat bythe National Wildlife Federation.
- With a 9:1 student/teacher ratio, Hualalai students are encouraged to participate in state and national programs and have won recognition and numerous awards for academic achievement, athletic performance and artistic pursuits. Each child receives the needed support to excel at his or her own pace.
- Hualalai’s core values are based on the Hawaiian principal of kina`ole – doing the right thing, in the right way, at the righttime, in the right place, with the right people, for the right reason, with the right feeling, the first time.
- Hualalai’s “Expected School-wide Learning Results” teach students to become independent learners and develop a desire for lifelong learning:
- Think critically and problem solve
- Recognize & produce quality work
- Exhibit respect for self & others
- Appreciate the arts & diversity of all cultures
- Take responsibility for living a healthy lifestyle
I moved to the Kailua Kona in July 2014 from the Bay Area in California where my children were enrolled at John Green Elementary in Dublin CA for three years. Their previous school had a 10 rating in 'Great Schools' and achieved an API score of 961. Therefore I had my apprehensions and predispositions of Kahakai Elementary. However I am thoroughly surprised with Kahakai. The physical infrastructure of Kahakai is cleaner better maintained and bigger than John Green. In addition the Office Staff is friendlier extremely supportive and caring. The Office Staff at John Green were quite rude and inattentive. The Vice Principals and Principal at Kahakai personally helped me with administrative issues to help my transition easier. Most importantly Kahakai teachers are better equipped stricter and don't require the assistance of parents for classwork homework and special projects. My anxieties were artificial and my bias of Hawaiian schools were wrong. Take it from a parent who moved from an affluent neighborhood of Dublin with highly rated schools; Kahakai is a great school and we prefer to have our boys attend their elementary years here; as opposed to John Green.