Almost everyone has been hurt at some point because of a secret, a distorted truth, a lie, and/or the discovery of something that should have been talked about openly. Dishonesty hurts because it undermines the relationship, breaks trust and is the opposite of intimacy. That means that instead of feeling secure in the fact that you know the other person and are known by them in turn, you now have doubts about them and no longer feel totally safe in the relationship.
Being honest isn't always easy, otherwise we'd all do it all the time, but there are five main reasons why honesty is important:
1) Without honesty there is no foundation for a lasting or enjoyable relationship in any context, whether that be with a family member, friend or romantic interest. Honesty is a voice for love that builds trust. Without it, even 'I love you' becomes a lie in itself and there's no real security in the relationship.
2) People can't read your mind. Being honest doesn't just mean telling the truth about factual information, but also about the way you're feeling. If you were hurt by something someone did, they may not even realise unless you are honest with them about how it affected you. If instead you hide the way you feel, then you disempower the other person from doing something about the problem and refuse the relationship the opportunity to grow. They may also feel hurt if they realise you were upset with them but said nothing, or if they know you're not being honest with them about the way you feel. All of this festers and damages the relationship, while on the other hand, being honest about your feelings can bring healing, solve a problem, renew hope and foster good communication.
3) When people don't know the truth, they will try and guess it. That is, not being honest about something causes people to try and figure out what you're not saying, or what the truth actually is. This breeds gossip, which can then foster more lies and deception that other people may mistake as truth. Finally, this causes many more people to feel hurt and betrayed when the truth is finally revealed, all of which could be avoided if honesty was applied in the first instance.
4) People are usually more hurt by the concealment of the truth than by the truth itself. Some people lie because they're afraid the truth will get them in trouble or cause another pain, but more often than not, while the truth may be painful, it is still usually less painful when delivered honestly than when it is wrapped in deception. Holding back on it or lying to cover it only causes people to feel betrayed as well as hurt, and to then question why you weren't just honest with them in the first place.
5) Being honest improves the relationship and saves us from having to live a lie. Lies rarely come on their own: one will usually be needed to cover another until it spirals out of control. This becomes complicated for the one who started it and confusing for the one receiving it. More than that, living a lie is hard work. It means not being yourself or enjoying relationships, and that is not comfortable for anyone. On the other hand, while being honest about difficult situations may be uncomfortable at first, if it can be worked through, the relationship is strengthened, trust is built and love is deepened.
The best relationships are the ones with honesty. It may mean difficult talks and awkward confrontations, but being honest also means better relationships with others and with yourself.
Check out Trudy Adams' new book, The Sunshine List.
Like this article? Please consider leaving a comment for the writer or like Trudy Adams' FB page:
Friends are as our outer family defending our feelings just like the closed walls of the house ready to defend any danger coming from four sides. They have lots of contribution in developing our outer trust layer around us with the relation name friendship. And if there is no honesty then friendship has no meanings. Why is honesty important in a friendship? Friendship tells who we are to others. Their significance in life is beyond description. Friendship is important to all of us. You may have thousands of friends, but if you don’t have a true friend then your life is not accomplished. During our studies from elementary school to universities, we have lots of fellows. Among them, we choose special ones for our friendship. Whatever, in any friendship, honesty is the basic manner.
Our parents feel affection for us because they are the ones bring us to this world. Our sisters and brothers love us because they are born with us. But friends are something different. Friends feel affection for us without any such stipulation or relation. They completely care and are devoted to us without any hope or assurances. We get a hold to share the largest part of love and relation with friends. Friends, who remain true to each other and never lie or hide or even never act for anything and enjoy their friendship at all stages of life.
You May Interest In:Best 33 Short Friendship Quotes And Sayings You Should Have To Know
Best 10 Reason Why Honesty Is Important In a Friendship
1 – Healthy and mature growth of friendship is based on Honesty.
We become friends to many when we start schooling. With the passage of time we meet different fellows, and among them, a few remain with us for a long time. In those few ones, we find those who remain honest to us and we trust in them. The relationship in school results in friendship and it grows on if honesty stays among them. A healthy friendship is always based on honesty and it grows if the friends remain true to each other.
2 – Honesty is a secret of successful friendship
Why is honesty important in a friendship? We all believe that no relationship is successful without honesty. Self-respect and being trustworthy are the most important things in friendship. An honest friend stands with you at every stage of life. So, it is important, to be honest with friends in order to have an everlasting friendship with them.
3 – Honesty is liberating element in Friendship
No one is perfect as we all make mistakes in our life. We usually make such mistakes upon which we regret. Honesty in friendship lets go any kind of unhealthy conditions and discourages the associations which have no healthier effect of well-being. Instead, honesty allows the beautiful and mature friendship to grow and loom.
4 – Honesty- the good stuff
Being honest is not just about tackling problems and issues, or things that are worrying us. We should also be honest and true to our friends about the things they are good at, or any things we like about them. In case we like the way they are dressed, we tell them. Or even, if your friend passes the exam, you have to encourage him/her and take a part of their joyfulness. Simply, it is very important, to be honest with friends in order to make a friendship alive.
5 – Friends Trust when No one else can
Sometimes, you fall in a situation when no one believes you and you want to speak to one who can listen to you and trust you. During those such bad times, friends come to you and talk to you about your problems and troubles and stand with you while no one else can. Friends put forward their shoulders to get rid of your tears at the time of disheartening or any other motivational situations when it is extremely hard to passionate. They are available every moment for us to give affectionate warm arms and enfold us away from the unsympathetic conditions.
You May Like: 10+ Funny Conversation Between Best Friends
6 – Friends Remain Loyal to Us
Distrust and dishonesty take our friends apart from us. As we know, friendship is built on honesty and loyalty; when we become dishonest to our friend, he/she will never turn back to us and treat us in the same way like dishonest and disloyal. So honesty takes you to loyal friends and you can have an enjoyable relationship with your friend.
7 – Honesty takes us to true company of friends
We meet a number of people who remain accompanied by a large group of people. The truth behind the large companionship is just honesty. When they become a friend to someone they remain true to them and fairly honest. So their circle of friends grows bigger and bigger. It is better to have set of friends as we need their opinions and views at different stages.
8 – Inspiration and Motivation
Of course, we desire to be successful in our career and undoubtedly struggle to go far ahead in our career. In such a successful career we need inspiration and motivation. Honest friends inspire and motivate us to make ourselves successful in any career. So being honest with our friends helps us in making progress in our life.
9 – Share secrets.
Friends have their secrets. Friends are only to whom we can share all the light and bulky secrets. An honest Friend knows our all secrets like the date, the mishaps, our family problems, the embarrassing and the funny moments. And it can only happen when there is honesty between friendship relations. Friends have covered lists for the whole problems in reality. It is true that your honest friend knows more about you than any person can. You can tell everything to your friends and ask their suggestions only if they honest to you.
10 – Boost self-confidence.
We may disbelieve in our decisions and capabilities without our honest friends. They give us motivations and warm hand with honesty in their friendship. They will never let us down. They remain hanging out with us throughout for the most nervous moments of life with assurance. Furthermore, they let us make us confident in our decisions and self-respect. At that time, we get the maximum level of confidence to acquire difficult chances and giant leaps immediately because of the honesty in their friendship they show.
You May Like To Read:Best 6 Bible Verses About Friendship With Explanation
At last, if there is a dishonesty between friendship, all the times they find out the ways to hurt each other by telling lies and hiding secrets. So honesty is the most important and essential part of the junction of friendship between two persons or genders. Hopefully, this article would help you in some way. If you have an honest friend and if you think that he or she really need this post, then just share this article with them by clicking the social buttons below. I always welcome your comment and suggestions, you can use the comment box below for your suggestions.
Filed Under: MotivateTagged With: Friendship